This coffee cake is every bit as good for breakfast as afternoon tea. Classic ingredients, a light airy, yet moist, texture, and a simple topping make this a go to for brunches, garden parties, and morning satisfying off to the office bite. Sour cream is the secret weapon.When used in cake recipes, sour cream offers a beautiful balance of acidity and a fat ratio content that translates into a fine moist crumb and flavorful cake.
This cake freezes beautifully. Go ahead, make two at a time.
Ingredients1 1/2 cups flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup sour cream 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 stick unsalted butter 1 cup sugar 2 large eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Topping1/3 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 10-inch spring form pan.
- Cream butter and 1 cup sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda in with the sour cream.
- In another bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, and flour.
- Alternate adding the sour cream/baking soda mixture and the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture. Don't over mix! Pour into the buttered spring form pan.
- Mix the topping ingredients together and sprinkle topping evenly over the cake.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.