The inspiration for this pizza pie came from a menu special served at Tom Douglas' SERIOUS PIES in Seattle. He makes his own blistering crust in a stone encased applewood fired oven. For the home cook, this version is divine.
ingredients1 pre-cooked 13" wood-fired pizza crust 3 ounces brie (truffle brie if available), room temperature 1/4 pound hard or semi hard truffle cheese, grated 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 small portobello mushroom, sliced as thinly as possible 1 tablespoon shallot, minced 1 tablespoon parsley, minced truffle oil
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. and move one rack to the lowest position possible. Turn on convection if possible.
- Heat a SKILLET, or other heavy bottomed skillet, over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and then the mushrooms and shallot. Cook until browned and fragrant.
- Use a BUTTER KNIFE to spread the brie over the bottom of the pizza crust to within 1/2” of the edge. Sprinkle the grated truffle cheese over the brie, top with the sautéd mushrooms, and place the pizza directly on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Bake for 2 minutes and check to see if the pizza crust is turning golden brown and warping slightly. Every oven is different, so the time to bake will be between 2 and 5 minutes. The edges should be deeply colored and crispy and the cheese melted.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and place on a pizza tray or cutting board. Sprinkle the parsley over the pizza.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice the pizza into rectangles rather than triangles and serve immediately.
Truffle Gouda, a less sweet and sharp than other goudas, is a perfect option as the truffle flavor takes main stage. Cypress Grove Truffle Tremor is a stronger truffle goat cheese and may be substituted for the brie for more intense flavor. An inexpensive hand held mandoline makes quick and even work slicing the mushroom. When a quick bite is in order, a wood fired grilled pizza crust and a hunt through the refrigerator for any bits of this and that produces leftover heaven. With a bit of planning, a sinful pizza can be put together and cooked in under ten minutes.