Ingredients for Pumpkin Rum Cakelets
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cakelets
Ingredients for Chocolate Cakelets
Directions for the Pumpkin Rum Cakelets
- For the cakelets: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare pan by spraying with the non-stick baking spray.
- Stir together the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whisk together the buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla, maple syrup, rum and eggs.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the pumpkin puree and ground spices.
- Add the boiling water and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk together until combined.
- Slowly add the pumpkin mixture to the ingredients in the electric stand mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the pumpkin shaped forms of the prepared pan (or into a 10-cup bundt cake pan). Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes for a bundt pan and 18 to 20 minutes for mini cakelets.
- Remove the cakelets from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully, invert the the pan onto a wire rack to cool.
- Finish by poking the fat end of a hole clove into the pumpkin to make a stem.
Directions for the Red Velvet Cakelets
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. an prepare pan (s) by spraying with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food gel, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the leaf shaped of the cakelet pans, (or into a 10 cup bundt cake pan).
- Bake the cakelets for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean,(or 45 minutes for the bundt cake pan).
- Remove the cakes from the oven and invert the cakelets onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, Let cool completely.
- Using tweezers, gently tuck edible gold leaf into the veins of each leaf.
Directions for the Chocolate Cakelets
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare the pan(s).
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixture, add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder. With the paddle attachment, stir until combined.
- Add the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- Reduce the speed and carefully and slowly add the boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the acorn shapes of the cakelet pans or into a 10 cup bundt pan. Bake cakelets for 18 to 20 minutes (45 minutes for bundt cake pan), or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
- Remove cakelets from the oven, set on a wire baking rack and cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Finish the acorn cakelets by brushing the tops of acorn shapes lightly with maple syrup and sprinkling with the nuts and toffee pieces.