- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the bottom of 9-inch springform pan and trace the round on a piece of parchment paper. Cut the traced pan bottom from the parchment paper.
- Return the bottom to the springform pan and thoroughly butter the bottom and sides of the pan. Line the pan with the traced piece of parchment and butter the top of the parchment liner too.
- Cut the chocolate into pieces and place in the top of a double boiler and melt (Use a metal bowl over simmering pan of water).
- Add the butter to the chocolate and stir until incorporated.
- Add the sugar to the chocolate mixture and stir well to combine. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to let the mixture cool slightly.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and the salt together. Add to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the center of the cake looks set and the top is shiny and a bit crackly.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a baking rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the perimeter of the pan to insure the cake easily releases from the pan.
- Transfer the cake to a SERVING PLATTER or a CAKE STAND.
Any high quality chocolate and butter may be substituted, but the Icelandic Chocolate and Kerrygold Irish Butter are amazing and available at Whole Foods. The recipe is easily doubled, one for now and one frozen for later. Also, do make certain to really incorporate the eggs one at a time thoroughly to avoid holes in the cake. A tart pan with a removable bottom or any pan may be used in place of a springform pan--just be certain to butter all the grooves carefully and line with parchment paper.