Ingredients for the salmon2 pounds sushi grade salmon (all in one piece) Grape seed oil
Ingredients for the sauce1/2 cup soy sauce Juice of 1 lime 1/2 teaspoon finely minced lemon grass 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (mirin) 1 teaspoon scallion, sliced as thinly as possible, white and light green parts only 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger 1 teaspoon hot sesame oil 1 tablespoon sesame seeds 1 teaspoon togarashi, optional
- Prepare the OFYR grill.
- Make the dipping sauce by mixing together all ingredients together. Set aside.
- Cut the side of salmon down the middle into 2 equal halves (one will naturally be thinner than the other). Slice the fatter side against the grain into sashimi size portions and the thinner side into nigiri against the grain and on the bias.
- Plate the sushi on a platter and decorate with slices of lime sliced as thinly as possible. cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill (may be done hours in advance).
- When the OFYR is scorching hot, clean off and lightly oil with grape seed oil.
- Pass appetizer plates and chopsticks. Place 3 to 4 slices of salmon on a plate and each person place their salmon on the OFYR. Cooking takes only 30 seconds (the hardest part will be learning to turn the fish (a well oiled surface insures easy turning and the OFYR spatula is also a weapon of choice for anyone having hard time turning—nothing will stick--however, while fun, some get frustrated with chop sticks ).
- Return the cooked salmon to the plates and use a spoon to drizzle the dipping sauce over the cooked fish.
Ask the fishmonger which is the freshest salmon available and have them deep clean (remove silver skin and red vein). Make sure the OFYR is oiled and wiped down (painter's cloths and tongs work extraordinarily well) before placing the fish on the grill. The dipping sauce should be served with a spoon so that it may be drizzled over the cooked fish. Togarashi is a spicy powdered assortment of red chili pepper, orange peel, sesame seeds, Japanese pepper, ginger and seaweed that may be found at most supermarkets and Asian grocery stores.