Ingredients1 1/2 cups polenta 1/4 cup whole wheat flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 2 tablespoons maple syrup 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 2 cups buttermilk 1 large egg, lightly beaten 1 pint blueberries, fresh or frozen Maple syrup, for serving
- Prepare the OFYR grill.
- In a medium bowl, combine the polenta, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the syrup, oil, buttermilk, and egg. Stir well, and quickly mix into the dry ingredients. Let stand for 15 minutes to soften the polenta.
- Lightly oil the OFYR ring with corn oil.
- Ladle 1/3 cup of batter onto the grill.
- Pour the maple syrup into a cast iron bowl and heat until hot and bubbly.
- Add a few blueberries to the top of each pancake. Flip when the edges turn golden, the tops are bubbly, and slightly crispy. Serve immediately and pass the syrup.
Coarse cornmeal may be substituted for the polenta. Cooking baking alongside the pancakes and frying eggs on the OFYR ring complete the breakfast. These corn pancakes may be made on a traditional stove top griddle or in a large cast iron skillet. Turn the oven to 200 degrees F. and keep the cakes covered with foil warm until all of the batter is cooked.