These are grown up cookies. Rich and not too sweet, the bittersweet chocolate pairs beautifully with a sparkling summer cava. Sour dried cherries from Michigan, the cherry capital of the world, add a variation in texture and an edgy punch to this chocolate connoisseur's dream cookie. Take the whole cookie up a notch and use to make ice cream sandwiches--it hardly gets better when Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream is smooshed between two of these decadent cookie slabs.
Ingredients1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/4 cups unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder 2 teaspoons baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar 2 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 12 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped 1 1/2 firmly packed cups dried sour cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add the flour mixture, and beat on low speed until just combined. Do not over beat. With a wooden spoon, fold in chocolate and cherries. (Dough can be frozen at this point, wrapped well in plastic, up to 1 month; thaw completely before baking).
- Form balls of dough, each about 1/4 cup; place balls on prepared baking sheets about 3 inches apart. Bake until puffed and cracked, 9 to 11 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Dutch cocoa powder is an acid stripped cocoa that has a deeper, darker espresso color. Regular cocoa will not produce the rich, earthy depth of color in the cookies, but they will still taste yummy. Outstanding choices for supermarket bittersweet chocolate for these cookies include Valrhona 71% and Trader Joe's 72% Belgian Imported Chocolate. Cookies may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.