ingredients1 pound lean ground pork 1 pound ground sirloin 2 cups onion, chopped 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped 8 garlic cloves, minced 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped (take out seeds if you like less spicy) 2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons brown sugar 1 tablespoon ground cumin 3 tablespoons tomato paste 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 teaspoon salt 2 bay leaves 1 1/4 cup Merlot or other fruity red wine 2 (28-ounce) cans ground peeled tomatoes 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded Sliced scallions, tortilla chips, chopped avocado, and sour cream for serving
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground pork, sirloin, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño to pan. Cook until ground pork and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, and beans; bring to a boil.
- Put in a slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Alternatively, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese, scallions, chips, and sour cream.