- Prepare the OFYR, or stoke the wood to ensure the iron cook top is still blistering hot (or prepare a charcoal or gas grill).
- Place all of the ingredients except the pineapple, grape seed oil, and basil in a Medium Sauce Pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors infuse.
- Place the pineapple in the pot with the spiced syrup (make sure eache ring is submerged and covered in syrup) and let sit for at least 20 minutes and up to an hour.
- Clean and oil the OFYR cooking ring (or the grates of a gas or wood fired grill) and remove the rings from the syrup on to the hot grill. Grill until the pineapple begins to caramelize on one side and then turn and grill the other side.
- When the second side of the pineapple is caramelized, place each ring on a dessert plate, drizzle with a teaspoon of the reserved spiced syrup and place a scoop of coconut ice cream in the center of the ring. Garnish each plate with a basil sprig and serve immediately.
Most supermarkets, including Whole Foods, have the tools to cut and core a pineapple and usually will do it when asked as a courtesy. It is easiest to remove the peel and slice the pineapple into 1" thick rings and then carefully remove the core ring by ring if a pineapple corer is unavailable. The spiced syrup may be made a day in advance--the flavors with intensify so adjust the amount of time the pineapple rests in the liquid.