Ingredients for the Cake5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1/4 cup lavender syrup 1.5 ounces whole milk 4 large eggs 1 cup sugar 1 tablespoon dried culinary lavender Finely grated zest of 2 limes Fresh lavender flowers, optional
Ingredients for the Buttercream2 cups confectioner's sugar 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened 2 tablespoons lavender syrup 2 tablespoons lavender honey 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions for the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 6-inch round cake pans.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Stir in the culinary lavender.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the olive oil, milk, and lavender syrup.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar and lime zest until pale and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Alternately beat in the dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans. Bake for 25 minutes until the cake is golden brown, and the side pulls away from the pan. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool before frosting.
- Use an offset spatula to spread a 1/4" layer of frosting over the top of one of the cakes.
- Place the second layer of cake onto the frosted top of the first layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and down the sides of the cake.
- Use the edge of a dough scraper to evenly spread the frosting over the top and sides, removing any excess frosting.
- Add fresh lavender to the top and base of the cake as decoration (optional).
Directions for the buttercream frosting
- Add the butter, confectioner's sugar, lavender syrup, honey and salt to the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
- Mix for 3 minutes on medium speed until the frosting is smooth and creamy.