Ingredients for the Salad4 cups mixed chicory leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces 1 small (2 to 3 pounds) kabocha squash, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1 inch wedges 1/4 cup pomegranate arils 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted Handful parsley leaves, small to medium leaves Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper Flaky sea salt
Ingredients for the Maple Mustard Vinaigrette2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil Sea salt to taste
Directions for the Salad
- Drizzle olive oil around the outer ring of your OFYR and place squash slices in the oil. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper and cook until beginning to char on one side.
- Flip over and sprinkle the other side with salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle more olive oil around the edge of the grill, allowing oil to flow under the squash slices. Continue to cook, flipping and moving slices around to lower heat areas as needed until squash is cooked and tender all the way through and nicely caramelized on both sides. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Pile chicories attractively onto a serving platter, trying to get some height for visual interest.
- Sprinkle with flaky salt, then nestle the caramelized squash wedges into the salad. Spoon dressing over everything, then sprinkle with the pomegranate and pumpkin seeds.
- Finish with more flaky salt and the whole parsley leaves strewn over the salad.
Directions for the Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small mason jar.
- Screw on the lid and shake until combined and fully emulsified.
- Reserve until ready to use.