Ingredients2 pounds yellow onions, peeled, halved, & sliced 3/8 5 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/3 cup dry sherry 4 cups chicken stock 2 cups heavy cream 2 teaspoons kosher salt 4 cloves garlic 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Jasper Hill Cloth Bound Cheddar, 16 cubes 1/2" each
1. Melt the butter in a 6 quart cocotte or Dutch oven over medium-low heat and add the onions. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and cook 50 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions are brown and caramelized. If the onions begin to stick, add a tablespoon of water and scrape and fold them. The onions are finished when they are uniformly the color of bourbon.
2. Add the sherry, increase the heat and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and 1 teaspoon salt, return to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, for 20 minutes.
3. Add the cream to the onion mixture, stir and heat until warm.
4. Pour the onion mixture into a Vitamix, blender, or food processor and blend until completely pureed. Taste for seasoning.
5. Just before serving, heat the soup, and then divide among 4 bowls. Drop 4 cubes of cheddar into each bowl and serve immediately.