Grilling pizza over a wood burning fire is magic. The combination of local summer tomatoes, sweet sunshine colored July just-picked-down-the-road-corn, and the apricot color of meaty peppery flavored summer chanterelles combines to create a texture and taste combination worthy of sharing with your favorite people. This flatbread may be made with fresh dough, but the pre-grilled supermarket variety is fabulous and makes this an under-ten-minute-prep-time meal that is cooked in under five minutes. Ideally, wine and beer are poured and enjoyed while the OFYR burns and firelight dances.
Ingredients1 wood fired pizza crust 1/2 cup fontina, shredded 1 large fresh mozzarella ball, thinly sliced 1 ear freshly shucked corn 4 ounces fresh chanterelles 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped 10 medium basil leaves, torn into small pieces Olive oil, as needed Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste Cornmeal (for sprinkling on the paddle)
- Prepare the OFYR fire and pizza oven attachment.
- Place the chanterelles in a small cast iron skillet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the chanterelles. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the dish on the ring of the hot OFYR and roast, stirring the mushrooms from time to time, until a golden crust forms on the chanterelles.
- Place the shucked ear of corn on the ring of the OFYR and cook, turning from time to time, until charred. Remove from the grill and slice the corn off the cob.
- Sprinkle the fontina over the crust. Evenly lay the mozzeralla slices over the crust.
- Evenly distribute thte tomatoes, corn, and red onion over the pie. Add the roasted chanterelles.
- Drizzle with olive oil and finish with some salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add cornmeal to the surface of the OFYR pizza paddle and slide the prepared pizza on to the paddle.
- Carefully lift the paddle into the opening of the OFYR pizza oven and slide the cornmeal and pizza into the oven.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the edges of the crust turn deep golden and crispy.
- Use the paddle to remove the pizza from the oven and slide the cooked pizza onto a serving board. Sprinkle the basil over the pizza.
- Cut the pizza into long slices one direction at 3" intervals and then the other direction in 3" intervals (not triangles). Sprinkle the basil leaves over the pizza and serve immediately.