Ingredients for the Cake
For Royal Icing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally spray a 10- to 12-cup bundt-style pan (make certain no oil pools in the pan in the crevices).
- Place the flour in a medium bowl. Sift in the baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Add the salt and whisk together.
- Place the brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed to break up any lumps. Add the molasses and mix for about 1 minute, or until smooth. With the mixer running, ad the oil in a slow, steady stream and continue to mix for about 1.5 minutes, until completely combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs and mix for 1 minute, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the dry mixture in 2 additions, mixing on low speed for 15 to 30 seconds after each. With the mixer running, add the water 60 grams (1/4 cup) at a time, incorporating each addition before adding the next. Scrape down the bowl again. Fold in the lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes. Turn the cake onto a rack and cool completely.—it is best to make the cake 1 day ahead, wrap in plastic wrap and sore at room temperature.
- To make the royal icing, place the powdered sugar and lemon juice in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer running, slowly add just over half of the egg whites and mix until smooth. The icing should be loose enough to use as a glaze—add additional egg whites if needed.