Ingredients for the Sardines8 fresh whole sardines, cleaned 1 lemon, sliced in half across the equator Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Sea salt
Ingredients for the Picada1/2 cup walnuts, toasted & coarsely chopped 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped Fresh fennel fronds, chopped 1 small shallot, minced 1 tablespoon preserved lemon, finely chopped (rind only, flesh removed & reserved for another purpose) Pinch saffron (optional) 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil Sea salt, to taste
Ingredients for the greens4 cups bitter greens (arugula, dandelion, radicchio, treviso, endive) 1 whole fennel bulb, halved & thinly sliced on a mandoline 4 radishes, thinly sliced 1 lemon, juiced Extra-virgin olive oil Sea salt flakes
- Make picada by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to combine and adding more olive oil if needed to create a spoonable sauce. Season to taste with salt.
- Prepare OFYR (or gas or charcoal grill) to medium high heat. Place sardines on a Staub Cast Iron Fish Pan and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, including inside the belly as well. Grill on both sides until blistered and fully cooked.
- Sear lemon halves, flesh side down on the OFYR ring until blackened.
- Combine greens, shaved fennel and radishes in a bowl. Squeeze the juice of the half lemon over the greens, sprinkle with flaky salt, and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Toss to combine.
- Arrange a bed of greens on a serving platter. Top with the sardines and spoon picada over the fish, garnish with reserved fennel fronds, and serve with the halves of burnt lemons (squeeze over the salad at the table before serving). Serve immediately.